Teaching geography to your kids can certainly be a challenge. In fact, if you recall your own educational experiences, chances are you disliked your geography classes. They always came across as overly boring. Who cares what the state bird is? So, when it comes time to showcase Philadelphia in your lesson planning, we would like to help you do so via the TV shows and movies that was shot in Pennsylvania.
You can even teach your kids the value of political involvement at this time. Introduce them to Philadelphia 3.0. They are a nonpartisan organization focused on getting new voices on the City Council. They see success as having more people providing input towards what goes on in the city of Philadelphia. Your kids might find their push for community involvement interesting. It could be an additional piece of trivia that helps make this geography lesson interesting.
The Trivia You Need to Grab Their Attention
Before you start showing them movies and TV shows that showcase Philadelphia, you might want to give them some beneficial tidbits of trivia. The truth is, trivia always makes a place more intriguing. If there are fun facts, which will help your kids recall important aspects about the city. Now is the time to provide those for them. Here are some interesting truths that you need to grab their attention:
- Philadelphia is a home of firsts. The nation’s first hospital, co-founded by Benjamin Franklin, is located there. So is the first zoo and the first university.
- Philly cheesesteaks were originally made without cheese. The sandwich was created in the 1930s but cheese wasn’t added until the 1940s.
- Politically, Philadelphia is home to the first Republican National Convention.
- The Philadelphia City Hall was initially designed to be the tallest building in the world. However, two other buildings were erected before it was completed (the Eiffel Tower and Washington Monument). So, it never achieved that dream, but it was the tallest occupied building in the early 1900s until the MetLife building was finished.
- The weirdly odd Mutter Museum resides in Philadelphia. There are several crazy things to see there. Just check it out here.
- Another first, is the fact that the nation’s first daily newspaper was established there in 1784. It is called the Philadelphia Packet and Daily Advertiser.
- Did you know the Liberty Bell was not actually given that name to begin with? In truth, it was first known as the State House Bell.
TV Shows & Movies Filmed in Philadelphia and the Surrounding Areas
We know you have been dying to share some cable education with your kids. So, be sure to check out these TV shows and movies that were filmed in Philadelphia and the surrounding areas. Tell your kids to be on the lookout for some of the trivia we discussed previously:
- The Blob
- Marley & Me
- Girl, Interrupted
- For Richer, or Poorer
- Rock School
- School Ties
- My Girl- This is a great movie (but sad). Learn about it here and watch it for free.
- Angels in the Outfield
- That Thing You Do
- Groundhog Day
- Inspector Gadget
- National Treasure
- Boy Meets World
- Cold Case
- Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
If you would like more access to the shows and films based in the Philadelphia area, utilize this link.
Potty training is probably one of the least enjoyable aspects of parenthood. It can be frustrating for all involved. Of course, it is a milestone that means a considerable financial savings. After all, diapers get expensive. However, if you try to pressure your child into potty training before he/she is truly ready, you will regret the fight you have to put into the endeavor. Instead, learn to use every resource available, TV & books, for potty training.
Before you get ready to take that leap, you will need to find the best potty seat for your child. Some children prefer the kids sized potty that can be utilized anywhere you put it. Others want to be just like mom and dad and use the big potty. Unfortunately, their tushes are too small for that seat size so you will have to find a comfortably cushioned version to fit their needs. You can take a look at the top five options on the site included above.
Steps to Potty Training Your Kids
If you are sure your child is ready to begin potty training, and you have made the appropriate potty seat purchase, you are probably wondering what’s next. Don’t worry, anyone who has ever had to potty train a child can relate to your trepidation. Therefore, we are going to provide you with steps to potty training your kids. Just read these and then talk to people who have had some success in this arena:
- Make sure your child is really ready.
- Attempt a fast track method that takes a week or less, there are a number of them online. Find some great research on the topic when you click this.
- Stay away from auto-flush toilets if you don’t want to freak out your kids.
- Make ‘em go cold turkey. That’s a lot of naked time and frequent bathroom trips but you can do it.
- Be a good example. They never let you go alone anyway, use it to educate.
- Don’t traumatize your child.
- Try bribing him/her.
- Pick a time to start this endeavor when you’re not too stressed out already.
- Don’t ask him/her to go, just take ‘em.
The TV Shows and Videos You Need
If you’re sure it’s the right time, then you should consider employing these TV shows and videos. Since this site is all about using TV to educate, these options might really push your success over the edge. These are the TV shows and videos you need:
- Yes, Dear Potty Training Episode (this one is more for your enjoyment that your kids’)
- Smosh Babies Potty Training Episode
- Baby Panda Potty Training
- Baby Elsa’s Potty Training Game (go here to get this game)
- Elmo’s Potty Time
- Rugrat’s Potty Training Episodes- Spike and Chucky
- Daniel Tiger’s Potty Training Episode
- Go Potty Go! Potty Training for Tiny Toddlers
- Potty Power for Boys and Girls
If the Videos and Shows Don’t Work, Try Books
Sometimes though we have to bring in the heavy artillery and utilize a different angle. If the videos and shows don’t work, try these books:
- First Look and Find Elmo’s Potty Book
- Dora’s Potty Book
- Berenstain Bears Baby Bears: My Potty and I
- Elmo’s Potty Time Play a Song Book
- It’s Potty Time for Girls
- Flush the Potty
- Everyone Poops
- Where’s the Poop?
- It Hurts When I Poop! A Story for Children Who are Scared to use the Potty
- The Potty Book for Boys
- Once Upon a Potty- Girls
- My Big Boy Potty
For more potty training help read this.
There are a lot of people who are now into watching television because they instantly become entertained with the various things that they learn. While some say that the things that they learn are not always good, people still cannot deny that television can help them pass time for a long period of time.
Television has already become people’s access to things that can be educational and appropriate but at the same time, television is also people’s window in order to learn things that they should not know. Television can go both ways. As long as the right things will be seen on television, there are various benefits that people can get from it:
- Television can help adults get to know various cultures from all over the world. There are now various channels that are available that will help people get to know how other people live. This can help them become more open minded about the world in general.
- Television can allow people get to know more facts about the stories that they have read. Some of the books that are available right now have movie adaptations that can help people see in action how the story in the book goes although most movies come with certain changes in order to make the movies more appealing for a lot of people. When it comes to mysteries and also some crime stories, there are also some shows that can tackle those cases on television. It will be enough to bring out the inner sleuth in people.
- Television can show people how to socialize properly depending on the countries that they are in.
Choosing the Right Programs Available
Now that you already know the good effects that watching television can do, you need to make sure that you will be choosing the right programs. At this point, how can you choose the right programs? It is not enough that you find the program entertaining. You need to make sure that you will choose a program that will allow you to learn more about life in general.
It can be even harder when you are choosing the right programs that you will show to your kids. There are more things that you have to think about. First and foremost, you need to make sure that you will only show programs that children will learn a lot more. The program has to be gender sensitive. This means that you will allow your children to know that there are different types of sexes in this world and they are all created equal. If the show does not promote this then you are better off searching for other types of shows.
If in case you are not too sure about the shows that you should watch and what you would allow your child to watch, you may check out some reviews online first. Some review sites are easy to see and understand due to Moxie SEO San Antonio. This will allow you to know if some of the shows that are available are worth it or not.